• Late Payment Fees
-$10 if received on or after the
3rd lesson of the month
professional performing engagements or illness. I will make up
lessons that I miss and will try to cause as little disruption
weekly regularity of lessons as possible.
Remember to take flute lessons into account when scheduling other activities
and appointments. I will offer a maximum of 2 make up lessons per school
year. Therefore, if you must miss a lesson, your best option is to switch
times with another student. To qualify for a make-up, I require: 1) that
you have attempted to switch lessons with another student, and 2) I require
24 hours advance notice (so that we have time to reschedule) for all
reasons except sudden illness and family emergency--6 hours for illness/emergency.
• If your school is
closed, or if after school activities are canceled because of weather,
we will not have lessons.
Regular practice: “Practice only on the days that you eat!”—Dr.
-Practice times should include enough time to work on your lesson music
and your band music.
General practice guidelines:
Advanced—1 hour + /day
• Be prepared for your
• Maintain a practice record.
• Bring your instrument, notebook, music and a pencil to all lessons.
• Use a soft cloth to clean the inside of your flute after every practice
session, flute lesson, band class, performance, etc.
is a learned skill for most music students. Do not expect that
child will know how to practice. Students often
need guidance outside of lessons with planning and scheduling practice
sessions. Younger students will need more guidance than older students.
For ideas on helping your child practice, please visit the Flute
section of my website in the coming months. I also highly recommend
the book, How to Get Your Child to Practice... Without Resorting to Violence!!
by Cynthia V. Richards.
• Help your child attain required materials in a timely manner.
• Please provide your child with a place to practice that is free from
If you have anything to discuss with me, please bring it up at the beginning
of your child’s lesson, not at the end, so that we do not run into
the next student’s lesson time--or call me during the week.
Parents are invited to sit in on their child’s lesson periodically.
• Parents are strongly encouraged to attend musical events with your child.
• Music Stand
• 3 ring binder that is used solely for flute lessons
• Soft cloth for cleaning inside of flute; Flannel cloth for wiping outside
• Music as determined by the instructor
• Tuner (for students who have been studying flute for 2 years or more.)